Cloth dryer tips
Money saving tips that will extend the life of your clothes dryer and lower the cost of energy:
Cloth dryer tips – To reduce the need of an appliance repair, use the following preventative measures. Proper maintenance and care is essential in keeping your dryer running efficiently. Improper care will cause your unit to overwork by using more electricity to keep you clothes dry than if properly maintained. By following these tips, you can prolong the life of your clothes dryer, prevent fires and avoid many costly repairs.
- Make sure that the dryer’s feet are level to prevent an imbalance in the machine that may cause loud noises and added wear and tear on the unit. For fire safety, do not place the dryer near heat producing device.
- Empty the lint filter after each and every use for efficient drying and fire prevention. Remove anything else that can impede good airflow. Do not forget to clean the back of the dryer where lint settles over time.
- Vent your dryer to the outside, never vent it inside. Clean out exhaust vent system at least once a year to remove clogs or other obstructions that can impede good airflow. The U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC) estimates that many fires associated with clothes dryers occur annually.
- Do not place foam backed rugs, rubber/plastic shoes or other heat sensitive articles in dryers. Also, to prevent fires, do not place clothing or other items soiled with flammable substances like gasoline and alcohol. Check the pockets of clothes for crayons and other heat sensitive items that may ruin the other clothes.
- To save energy, do not overload the dryer and make sure items are not water logged. This may burn out the motor.
- Clean up all spills from the top of the dryer. Many detergents and solvents can damage finish. Clean with a mild household dish soap or baking soda and rinse with warm water. Rinse and wipe dry.
- Always read manufacturer’s guides and operating instructions.
By following these tips, you can prolong the life of your clothes dryer and avoid a costly appliance repair. However, there are times when an appliance repair is needed.